Monday, May 17, 2010

I40 River!

After closing on the house on the
28th we hit the road on Saturday
to head back to Fort Hot.
We had a date with the packers and
the moving truck.
The day started with rain
and lots of weather warnings
on the radio. About 195 miles
into the trip we hit some traffic.
We sit on the road
for about 45 minutes
before we started to move again.
The reason for the little pit stop
was a small mudslide
and a tree on the road.We then made it about 30 more miles
before the road turned into a parking lot.
After a little over a hour we started to move.
Only to realize why traffic had stopped.
I40 was a river!!!!
The water was over the road!
I was ready to camp out in the SUV over night
and hope that it was better the next day.
Mr. PC was sure that we would be ok.
With him at the wheel and a lot of prayers
we made our way across the river.
It looks ok from this picture, but you can

start to see the water on the road.



I was glad to be going west, because the east side had
a lot more water.


View out my window.





It had to suck for them.
The "grass" area between the east and west
side of I40 was a pool.
I hope they all got off safe and sound.

I am not sure I would have a been as brave
as the young girl in this car.


We then only made it 19 miles down I40 when we stopped
to eat. The plan was to have lunch in Jackson, TN, but
we made it at dinner time. Traffic on I40 east was
a parking lot for 10 miles.
While we had dinner the waiter told us I40 west was closed.
We got a hotel room and watched the weather channel all night.
We were very blessed to make it off I40 and to find a room.
Some people got stuck on I40 for 12 hours and some
even got to ride the storm out in thier cars.
About 3am we got to go hang out in the 1st floor hallway because
the tornado alarm was going off.
We got back to our room around 4:30 am
and had to put two little ones back to sleep.
The next day we hit the road.

This was farm land!
I saw many homes with water to the door of the home.

We did make it home on Sunday after a long day in the car.
My heart breaks for the people in that area.
Some of them have lost eveything.

1 comment:

  1. I heard it was a very difficult trip, I was glad to hear you guys got to find a place to stay. It is amazing how much damage was done. I have a blogger friend who lives in Nashville and told me they are still doing tons of repairs :(

    ReplyDelete