Sunday, September 18, 2022

The Ville

I had few errands to check off my to do list before we 

got away for the weekend. A couple of them I needed to do in the 

Ville (on the economy). We have been to the Ville a few times for different things, but today was 

the first time I did it solo and did a little exploring.

I had seen videos and pictures of the Ville before coming and I was hopeful that 

it would be a place I could shop and hang out.  We had a nice walking area in Germany 

where you could shop, have coffee and a nice dinner. I did not expect

 the Ville to be like the one in Germany, but I would be hopeful that it would be slightly like it.

10% of Germany would have be great, but it's about 2%, and honestly, I am not who the Ville 

is catering to and that is ok. I am sure I will grow to love it for what it is. 


Out the gate into the Ville I went! My first stop was to exchange some currency. 

When I went to the bank today the teller told me the rate was better off-post. Off-post where

I had done it in the past, but I always like to explore all my options.


The bank teller did recommend a different store from the one I previously used and he also

said if I exchanged 100 dollar bills the rate would be better.

The rate off-base was much better and when 

the gentleman saw that I had 100's he did raise the rate a little. 

Every little bit helps.



After that it was off to find a CU store ( a type of convenient store) to get T-money cards

for the kids and myself. It is the fastest way to pay when taking a bus or subway. 

I couldn't remember where the CU store was and my maps would not work, so I tried the 7-eleven to see

if I could buy them there. 

T-money cards acquired and loaded with funds and I was done with my to do list! 

So, after accomplishing so much I decided to visit a coffee shop I like 
for an iced americano. Unfortunately, my coffee consumption has tripled since 
arriving here.  


My favorite shop was not open so I  stopped at another little coffee shop.
It's a cute little shop and lady working in the store is from TX! They have plans to add 
Kolaches to the menu when they are able to get all the ingredients to make them. I find it kind of funny, because we use to buy them in TX and was told we would find them in Europe, but never did! 
And now it looks like I will be able to buy them in South Korea. 

With my coffee in hand I set off to explore! Next to the coffee shop up on a hill
is a little area that looked like a park, so today I went up and checked it out.



It had a nice little playground and an exercise area at the top off it.
I had heard that you will find exercise equipment along hiking trails and all over other places
here, but this first time I had seen any. I didn't get any good photos because a few gentleman 
were working out on them. I think it's a pretty neat idea.


The view from the park looking down towards the Ville.


The Ville is a very mixed area, as you walk around, some areas look very
nice, modern, and clean and other areas not so much.

I do remind myself that this area in more rural versus a big city. 
Plus I have been told that the Covid restrictions really hurt the area. 









I am hopeful that the more we put Covid in the past,
 the area will start to rebound.





The last few photos are near the start of the Ville. I have found out the "Ville"
is as big or as small as you want it to be. Some folks think of it as only the main street and about 
a block long, while others will tell you it goes on for blocks in each directions. 
I love to walk, so I plan to explore all of it.  Just like when we lived
in Germany, I feel completely safe walking around by myself. Once the older two get a little more 
settled I will send them out the gates alone to explore. 





We have had a few work events in the Ville and I have visited a 
few coffee shops and enjoyed them all. The Ville is filled with pubs and bars and really gets busy on the weekends.  While the Ville was not what I was hoping for, it is still a nice little area to walk around 
and explore. We have already found a doner kebab place that the family loves. While it not the same as
what we got in Germany is a 100 times better then any we have had in the states. 

I am looking forward to exploring in a different areas of the Ville now that the weather is starting to cool off. I am sure I will find some hidden gems. 





No comments:

Post a Comment