Friday, October 14, 2022

Battleship New Jersey (Philadelphia Day Two 5/28/22)

Day two started with a visit to the Battleship New Jersey

My Grandpa was on the USS New Jersey (BB-62) when it launched from the 

shipyard on December 7, 1942, during World War II. My Grandpa is my compass and growing

up I got to hear about his time on the ship and all his adventures when he was on leave. During our last

 visit to see him the kids got to hear some of his stories, so I could not pass up this opportunity.

We could not have asked for a better day to explore.




 









I cannot put into words how I was feeling
as we explored the ship.  I would see things and read the history about it and then 
it would hit me, I had already known it from my Grandpa's stories.






My grandpa has told the story about this seat
and how it was used, so it was little unreal to see it. 




My Grandpa is over 6 feet tall, so I'm not sure how comfortable these
beds would have been for him.



We went upstairs, downstairs and all around the ship learning 
and exploring.  










After exploring for a while it was my time to fire a cannon. 
Someone thought it would be good idea to let people pay to fire a cannon 
off the side of the ship. I am not going to lie I was as happy as a 
kid on Christmas morning. Unfortunately, I have no photos to post
of it, but I do have my Sweet Boy with ear protection on.









We all had a great time exploring the ship and could have spent all day
 exploring, but we headed out after I fired the cannon and headed back across the river
to explore more of Philadelphia.

It was past lunch time and I had plans for the family to try two of the most famous cheese steak
places in Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment